emacs autoconf mode
Harlan Stenn
2015-02-13 08:35:30 UTC
I've seen http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutoconfMode and since I'm a
bit overwhelmed these days, I figured I'd just ask:

The last time I checked either of the recommended packages, I thought
neither handled indentation well.

I've got a situation where I need to do a bit of surgery on a fairly big
autoconf macro file, and that file is not well indented.

Is there a good autoconf mode out there that will help me make sure the
autoconf macros are "properly" indented?
--
Harlan Stenn <***@ntp.org>
Eric Blake
2015-02-13 14:52:38 UTC
Post by Harlan Stenn
I've seen http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutoconfMode and since I'm a
The last time I checked either of the recommended packages, I thought
neither handled indentation well.
I've got a situation where I need to do a bit of surgery on a fairly big
autoconf macro file, and that file is not well indented.
Is there a good autoconf mode out there that will help me make sure the
autoconf macros are "properly" indented?
Not that I'm aware of, but if you find one, be sure to post a link to it
back here (the emacs file in the autoconf.git repository hasn't been
touched in ages, and might benefit from improvement if a better module
out there).
--
Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266
Harlan Stenn
2015-02-14 02:47:30 UTC
Post by Eric Blake
Post by Harlan Stenn
Is there a good autoconf mode out there that will help me make sure
the autoconf macros are "properly" indented?
Not that I'm aware of, but if you find one, be sure to post a link to
it back here (the emacs file in the autoconf.git repository hasn't
been touched in ages, and might benefit from improvement if a better
module out there).
How big a job would it be to write something that did this well?

Would this be a good GSoC project?

Eric Blake
2015-02-16 16:25:00 UTC
Post by Harlan Stenn
Post by Eric Blake
Post by Harlan Stenn
Is there a good autoconf mode out there that will help me make sure
the autoconf macros are "properly" indented?
Not that I'm aware of, but if you find one, be sure to post a link to
it back here (the emacs file in the autoconf.git repository hasn't
been touched in ages, and might benefit from improvement if a better
module out there).
How big a job would it be to write something that did this well?
Not sure - I've never personally written an emacs mode.
Post by Harlan Stenn
Would this be a good GSoC project?
Couldn't hurt to try.
--
Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266
Zack Weinberg
2015-02-16 17:28:37 UTC
Starting from sh-mode rather than m4-mode, as done by
http://user42.tuxfamily.org/sh-autoconf/index.html (which is not very
sophisticated, but it could be a starting point), seems like it might
be a good way to go. When I've had trouble editing autoconf scripts
in emacs it was because m4-mode got confused by shell syntax.
Post by Eric Blake