How to update config.guess?
Jeffrey Walton
2016-08-01 21:58:47 UTC
I'm trying to build a package from its release tarball. config.guess
appears to be misidentifying the platform, so I'd like to update it to
the latest version.

How do I update config.guess?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Václav Haisman
2016-08-01 22:06:22 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Walton
I'm trying to build a package from its release tarball. config.guess
appears to be misidentifying the platform, so I'd like to update it to
the latest version.
How do I update config.guess?
The upstream Git repository is there:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=summary
Jeffrey Walton
2016-08-01 22:17:38 UTC
Post by Václav Haisman
Post by Jeffrey Walton
I'm trying to build a package from its release tarball. config.guess
appears to be misidentifying the platform, so I'd like to update it to
the latest version.
How do I update config.guess?
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=summary
Thanks. I fetched config.guess with:

$ wget -O config.guess
"http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=config.git;a=blob_plain;f=config.guess;hb=562f3512b3911ba0c77a7f68214881d1f241f46e"

The issue seems to have gotten a little worse. Instead of a triplet, I
now have a quadruplet:

$ ./config.guess
armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf

I'm guessing ARMv8 support is not quit where it needs to be.

Jeff
Wookey
2016-08-02 00:22:40 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Walton
I'm trying to build a package from its release tarball. config.guess
appears to be misidentifying the platform, so I'd like to update it to
the latest version.
How do I update config.guess?
On distros a reasonably current version is normally available in the filesystem. On
Debian-based systems they are in:
/usr/share/misc/config.guess
/usr/share/misc/config.sub

(the package autotools-dev needs to be installed).

If building packages there are standard/recommended ways of updating
during the build, documented on https://wiki.debian.org/Autoreconf

It's also a good idea to prod upstream to update to recent versions to
save others this hassle.

Wookey
--
Principal hats: Linaro, Debian, Wookware, ARM
http://wookware.org/