Information on mailing list archives page is wrong
John Spencer
2014-03-23 15:48:01 UTC
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/ says that the archive is
updated every 30 minutes - this seems to be untrue.
it seems to take at least 4 hrs - so please excuse my double-post (and
maybe consider updating the information on that page).

Thanks,
--JS
Eric Blake
2014-03-24 12:25:23 UTC
Post by John Spencer
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/ says that the archive is
updated every 30 minutes - this seems to be untrue.
it seems to take at least 4 hrs - so please excuse my double-post (and
maybe consider updating the information on that page).
The archives are indeed updated frequently - but only for posts that
actually make it to the list. Your first post was held in the
moderation queue waiting for a human to whitelist your address; once it
was finally moderated through, the list archives did indeed pick it up.
And you're not the first person to double-post, thinking that the
second post is likely to get through faster than the first one based on
actions taken on your end such as subscribing in the meantime (not true
- both posts were held in the moderation queue and released
simultaneously). Non-subscribers are allowed to post.

I can certainly try to update the page to be a bit more clear about
first-time posting rules, and about the fact that the moderation queue
applies whether or not you subscribe.
--
Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266
Julien ÉLIE
2014-04-02 20:00:23 UTC
Hi Eric,
Post by Eric Blake
I can certainly try to update the page to be a bit more clear about
first-time posting rules, and about the fact that the moderation queue
applies whether or not you subscribe.
I believe it is a good idea. I faced the same issue when I tried to
send my first message to the mailing-list (without having subscribed).
I did not understand why it did not get through the list. And then I
subscribed, and it was the same :)

It would be great to mention that clearly.
--
Julien ÉLIE

« La femme a la passion du calcul : elle divise son âge par deux,
double le prix de ses robes, triple les appointements de son mari et
ajoute cinq ans à l'âge de sa meilleure amie. » (Marcel Achard)