Configure tests using pipes
NightStrike
2018-07-17 03:11:11 UTC
Is there a way to tell configure to pipe input into gcc as stdin for
compile tests instead of writing out a temp file and compiling that?
When working on slow, remotely mounted nfs areas, the very large
amount of file i/o latency multiplies its effects considerably.
Paul Eggert
2018-07-17 15:52:08 UTC
Post by NightStrike
Is there a way to tell configure to pipe input into gcc as stdin for
compile tests instead of writing out a temp file and compiling that?
Not that I know of.
Post by NightStrike
When working on slow, remotely mounted nfs areas, the very large
amount of file i/o latency multiplies its effects considerably.
Don't do that. Instead, create a temporary area, make that the working
directory, and use /path/to/src/configure instead.
NightStrike
In my environment, I don't have permission to run the build in a non-NFS area.
Paul Eggert
2018-07-18 00:01:50 UTC
Even /tmp lives in NFS? Wow. Well, good luck.
Earnie
2018-07-18 12:41:35 UTC
Post by NightStrike
Post by NightStrike
When working on slow, remotely mounted nfs areas, the very large
amount of file i/o latency multiplies its effects considerably.
Don't do that. Instead, create a temporary area, make that the working
directory, and use /path/to/src/configure instead.
In my environment, I don't have permission to run the build in a non-NFS area.
Maybe time to talk with your management or IT department about how this
policy is slowing down the development time. Maybe they might see it as
a cost to avoid.
--
Earnie