Does a 2.70 release exist?
Nicholas Clark
2018-04-24 18:56:36 UTC
I was reading through the GNU Make manual's directory-variable guidelines,
and I noticed that it calls out Autoconf 2.70 as having support for
@runstatedir@ (nominally @localstatedir@/run or /var/run).

For reference, I was looking at:
https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Directory-Variables.html
in the 'runstatedir' section.

I'm working on a project right now that that wants to use @runstatedir@ for
storing some unix-domain sockets, and I'd love to be able to control the
location via autotools.

The catch is that I can't find Autoconf 2.70 anywhere! 2.69 seems like it's
the most recent release everywhere that I can find (except for the Git
repo).

Where can I find the 2.70 release? Is GNU Make's documentation wrong and
2.70 doesn't exist? If that's true, will it ever exist?

-Nick
Eric Blake
2018-04-24 19:12:43 UTC
Post by Nicholas Clark
The catch is that I can't find Autoconf 2.70 anywhere! 2.69 seems like it's
the most recent release everywhere that I can find (except for the Git
repo).
Where can I find the 2.70 release? Is GNU Make's documentation wrong and
2.70 doesn't exist? If that's true, will it ever exist?
I have not yet (made? found?) the time to release 2.70. But it will
happen, someday.
--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization: qemu.org | libvirt.org
Nicholas Clark
2018-04-24 19:40:06 UTC
Any chance there could be a small 2.70 release with support for
runstatedir? It's already in the Autoconf git repo. I've messed around some
with other build systems, and I've never come across one I like more than
Autotools. It would be awesome to get baked-in support for runstatedir
without needing to do some hack.