About config.status
Xue Fuqiao
2013-11-18 12:39:27 UTC
Hi list,

In (info "(autoconf) Output"):

Every Autoconf script, e.g., 'configure.ac', should finish by calling
'AC_OUTPUT'.
[...]
-- Macro: AC_OUTPUT
Generate 'config.status' and launch it. Call this macro once, at
the end of 'configure.ac'.

It seems that `config.status' is generated by autoconf (from
configure.ac), but (info "(autoconf) config.status Invocation")
indicates that `config.status' is generated by `configure'. I've read
(info "(autoconf) FAQ"), but it didn't help. Can anyone point me in the
right direction?
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
Eric Blake
2013-11-18 14:59:14 UTC
Post by Xue Fuqiao
Hi list,
Every Autoconf script, e.g., 'configure.ac', should finish by calling
'AC_OUTPUT'.
[...]
-- Macro: AC_OUTPUT
Generate 'config.status' and launch it. Call this macro once, at
the end of 'configure.ac'.
It seems that `config.status' is generated by autoconf (from
configure.ac), but (info "(autoconf) config.status Invocation")
indicates that `config.status' is generated by `configure'. I've read
(info "(autoconf) FAQ"), but it didn't help. Can anyone point me in the
right direction?
Both statements are true, if you allow for transitivity.

configure.ac + autoconf => configure
configure => config.status

Or, in longhand, using autoconf on configure.ac generates a shell script
(configure) which in turn generates another shell script
(config.status). If you want to change what gets put in config.status,
your options are to alter your configure.ac or to hack on Autoconf.
--
Eric Blake eblake redhat com +1-919-301-3266
Xue Fuqiao
2013-11-18 22:19:06 UTC
Post by Eric Blake
Post by Xue Fuqiao
[...]